07 October

Rett's Flower Bunting pattern

I've been playing around with new designs for my Hippie Granny Bunting, and was pretty happy with this cute flower one, so I thought I'd share it with you!

CONFESSION TIME:

This is actually my first "published" pattern! I have been procrastinating about writing patterns for a couple of years, and have lots of almost-finished ones that I need to get tested and out there.

A big part of my problem is perfectionism, but if we wait until we are experts at doing something before we do it, when will it ever get done? So I'm setting this one free, as is, untested (except by me)!

Please try it out and let me know how it goes. I usually make up my own designs and don't actually read a lot of patterns, so my crochet language is a bit awkward. I'll keep working on it, but in the meantime I'd love your feedback and suggestions. It will be very helpful to me in getting my other designs out there :)


Rett's Flower Bunting (UK terms)

I used 8ply (DK) yarn, a 4mm hook and 6 colours.

This pattern uses UK terms, and the following stitches:
(US terms are in brackets)

sl st - slip stitch
ch - chain
dc - double crochet  (sc)
tr - treble (dc)
dtr - double treble (tr)
dtr3tog - double treble 3 together (tr3tog)
htr - half treble (hdc)
hdtr - half double treble (htr)

I haven't explained how to do these stitches, or join colours, as there are plenty of tutorials already out there for these things!


FOUNDATION RING: Using colour number 1, ch 4 and join with sl st to form a ring.

ROUND 1: Ch 3 (counts as 1 tr), 11 tr into the ring, join with sl st into 3rd ch of ch 3. Fasten off.

foundation chain and round 1

ROUND 2: Using colour number 2, ch 3 into any tr from round 1, 1 tr into same stitch. 2 tr into each stitch to end, join with sl st into 3rd of ch 3. Fasten off. You should have 12 pairs (24 tr altogether).

round 2


ROUND 3: Using colour number 3, dc in the space between two of the tr pairs (I make a dc standing stitch to start this round), chain 3, *dc in the next space between two tr pairs, ch 3, continue from * to end. Join with a sl st to the top of the first dc. Fasten off.

round 3

ROUND 4: Using the same colour as the last round, starting in any 3 chain space, ch 3 (to form first dtr of the cluster), dtr2tog in the same space (this forms your first dtr3tog), ch 3, *dtr3tog, ch 3, repeat from * to end, join with a sl st in the top of the first cluster. Fasten off.

If you look carefully at my photo below, you can see how the first petal at the top is actually made up of 3 chain and a dtr2tog, but the rest of the petals are dtr3tog. If you know a better way to do this or explain it, please let me know :)

round 4

ROUND 5: Using colour number 4, *4 dc in any chain space (I use a standing dc for the first stitch here too), ch 1. Work 2 htr and 2 tr in next chain space, ch 1. In next chain space work 2 hdtr, 2 dtr, ch 3, 2 dtr, 2 hdtr (all in the same chain space, as this forms a corner), ch 1. Work 2 tr, 2 htr in next chain space, ch 1. Repeat from * twice to form the rest of the triangle. Join with sl st to the top of the first dc, fasten off.

PHEW, there must be an easier way to say that! Does it make any sense at all? This is where we turn the circle into a triangle, and I promise it's much easier to do than to explain! If you're a visual person like me, the picture might help.

round 5

ROUND 6: Using colour number 5 and working in any corner space, ch 6 (to form one tr and ch 3 corner space), 4 tr, ch 1,* 4 tr in next chain space, ch 1, continue from * to next corner space. **4 tr, ch 3, 4 tr in corner space, ch 1, 4 tr in next 4 chain spaces, with ch 1 between each set of 4 tr. Repeat from **. Finish with 3 tr in the first corner space, join with a sl st in the 3 ch of ch6 (this forms the 4th tr of that set). Fasten off.

I start this round in a corner as it looks neater to me, but you can start in any chain space, and adjust the pattern accordingly. This round is pretty much a basic granny triangle pattern.


round 6


ROUND 7: Using colour number 6, 1 dc in every stitch and ch space from round 6 to form border. (I use a standing dc for the first stitch here too). 3 dc in each corner space. Join with sl st to the top of the first dc. Fasten off.

round 7

And you're done! The finished triangle might be a little wavy along the edges, so you can block it into a neater triangle if you like.

My crocheting is quite tight, but if you are a loose crocheter, you might be able to skip the ch 1 between your granny clusters to make a neater triangle. Experiment, and let me know how you go!

When I have enough triangles to make a garland (mine are usually between 9 and 11 triangles long, but that is totally up to you), join them with dc along the top. I use two to three rows of dc.

joining the triangles

If you want to add tassels to your bunting, I have a tassels tutorial that might help.



I would love to see pictures of your finished triangles!

Share them with me at:


Please tag your pics #rettsflowerbunting so I can find them :)