23 January

Dreamcatcher

I have been seeing lovely examples of crochet dreamcatchers everywhere lately, so I decided to try making one as a gift for a friend.  It was fun and quite easy to make, so I thought I would share it here.  I used free patterns found online (I have included links within the text), and items from my craft cupboard.



I found a crochet pattern for a Snowflake ornament to use for the centrepiece of the dreamcatcher.

I crocheted Snowflake B, using Tahki Yarns Cotton Classic, which is an 8 ply (DK) yarn, and a 3mm hook, so my snowflake turned out quite a lot larger than the ones in the pattern.  I ended up attaching it to the inside ring of a 12 inch embroidery hoop.

I found an easy to follow free feather pattern on Ravelry.  This creator of the pattern was inspired by these lovely feather pendants.  Using the same yarn and hook, I followed the pattern for the larger feather, although as I was using quite a firm yarn my feather developed some interesting curves.  I adapted the pattern a little to create two smaller feathers (the feather on the left wouldn't behave for the photo, so you'll have to imagine that it looks similar to the one on the right!).

Other additions were some hand-dyed silk ribbons I had in my craft cupboard, and some felt balls from Colour Streams.

Many other items could be used to decorate these dreamcatchers... vintage buttons, interesting fibres, ric rac, beads... it's only limited by your imagination.